We try to make Stations of the Cross a regular event during Lent for our family. This was the first year that Josie really understood everything and boy was the first Stations interesting. The girl had so many questions/comments...
Why are those men being so mean to Jesus?
Why did he fall down so much?
I bet his Mother was very sad.
What is a tomb?
(and after learning what a tomb is) Oooh, I would not want to go in there.
All of those questions (and more) came just during the actual service. On the way home, our discussion continued. The biggest question/concern she had was why? Why were those men mean to Jesus? Why did he have to carry the cross? Why did Jesus have to die? So, I told her that we all make bad choices and Jesus loves us all so much that he wanted to make our bad choices go away and forgive us. And to do that, Jesus had to be crucified on the cross. Her response to that and this is what I love about children - so insightful, so honest. She says to me, "well, then why aren't we up on that cross instead of Jesus?"
Amen Josie, Amen.
and their adorable kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Josie is wise beyond her years -- thanks for sharing your story. We haven't been faithful about going to stations as a family -- it's all we can do to get through Mass every Sunday with Sam. Thanks for reminding me that we need to make this commitment during Lent! Somehow I've missed all of your posts since January!
ReplyDeleteWow, so much wisdom in such a little girl!
ReplyDeleteFrom the mouths of babes! What a sweet, special girl! Indeed - why aren't we all up there?!
ReplyDeleteAmazing. Brought tears to my eyes!!!
ReplyDeleteYes, Amen!
ReplyDelete