A blog of two Texans (not really Germans)
and their adorable kids

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sweet Baby Evelyn

Tonight I got in the shower around 11:30 and just as I got my hair wet, I heard the door to the bathroom open and shut. I then heard another noise. I thought it was Kevin at first and then I saw a small shadow pass by the shower door. To my surprise, it was Evelyn prowling around the house at almost midnight looking for someone to be awake with her. I quickly dried off, put on a robe and picked her up.

Poor girl was confused and really wanted to go back to bed, but just didn't know how to. She asked for milk so I filled about half a cup and sat with her on the couch. She fiddled with my fingers (a therapeutic and relaxing ritual she has) as she drank her milk and I sat there watching her and noticing how she really is still a baby. I expect her to be so big given she is already a big sister, but all in all, she is still a baby. She then stopped drinking her milk and said, "done" and I sat the milk on the end table. She then cuddled up to me and said, "cold," so I put a blanket on her and just held her snuggled up against my chest.

I have not held a sleeping Evelyn in forever. Evelyn was a baby that liked to be rocked, but towards the end of her rocking phase, it had become more of a chore and then when I was very pregnant with Isabelle, it became physically uncomfortable to rock her and hold her so close. But tonight - holding her tonight was wonderful! Tonight was one of those mommy moments you wish you could wrap up and keep forever. Tonight was peaceful and thoughtful. Tonight was a moment sent to me by God. Thank you God for waking her up and giving me the chance to hold my baby Evelyn again.

11 comments:

  1. This is truly a MOMMY moment. You are right Cecilia...a moment sent by God. Sometime the greatest things come at times least expected. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...this post almost made me cry. I'm so glad you stopped to "smell the roses" and enjoy the moment with Evelyn. I bet she needed it just as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great moment. Thank you for sharing it and reminding me to slow down and enjoy those special times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thanks for ruining my mascara!!! Those moments are so precious! Thanks for reminding us all about how important and wonderful those moments are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me cry, too! Very, very sweet. I know that I'm guilty of being frustrated when my kids don't act a certain way, and then realizing that they are acting their age! I'm glad that you got to soak up that sweet, special time with Evelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy that time with Evelyn! I know we're entering the phase with Elizabeth where we hear more "I do it!" than we do "Mommy, help please!" You've helped me to remember to cherish the times when she does want to snuggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so I messed up... but I finally did get it to post for me!
    Anyway...
    Such a sweet post! I think all mommies are guilty of forgetting that their little ones are still just babies. We actually just had this discussion the other day at our Moms Club meeting. So glad you cherished the moment! Mommies + Their Babies= Priceless

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post! What a wonderful moment with your sweet Evelyn. Nothing better than getting to hold and cuddle with your babies. THE best gift of all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post! Reminded me to take the time to savor every moment- It sure goes by fast!

    ReplyDelete