A blog of two Texans (not really Germans)
and their adorable kids

Friday, March 26, 2010

Evelyn's ER Trip

I know I told you I would write this week about our trip to the farm during spring break with pictures and all, but we interrupt that important message to bring you this one.

On Wednesday morning, I had an early OB appointment so Kevin stayed with the girls until I got back. I have to admit, I thought this was gonna be a GREAT day. I woke up early, took a shower, painted my toenails (yes all 10 of them...not just the ones sticking out of my shoes), and even ran a quick errand before my 8:30 appointment. Then about 9 AM as I was coming home from the appointment, Kevin calls me and says, "Hey, how close are you? Evelyn fell and I think we'll need to go to the emergency room." Fortunately, I was close and oddly enough, I did not panic. I think the fact that I could hear Evelyn in the background and she was not screaming but just kind of wimpering made me ok with everything.

I get home and my poor sweet Evelyn has a gash above her left eye and blood is running down her face onto her Minnie Mouse sippy cup. She is holding onto that sippy cup as if it is is her lifeline and she just looks so sad. We gather our thoughts as well as shoes, breakfast bars, books, toys, coffee, etc. and head out the door. Fortunately, there is both a walk-in clinic and an emergency room right next to our house. We were not sure how bad the cut was so we went to the clinic first. They got us all admitted and then once the doctor looked at it, he sent us to the emergency room because of Evelyn's age and the location of the cut.

At the emergency room, things went really smooth. They told us they would 'partially sedate' her because she is so small and it would likely just make her very groggy, but she would be fine in about 15 to 30 minutes afterwards. The good thing about the sedation was it would make the stitching easier (so they said). We agreed and they sent Josie and Mom to the waiting room for the actual stitching while Dad stayed with Evelyn.

As Josie and I are in the waiting room, I begin to hear Evelyn scream and I think oh, they are giving her a local anesthetic and the sedation medicine. She'll stop soon. NOPE...she continued to scream for about 15 minutes. Poor Kevin had to hear all of that in person. I was having a hard time with it and was down the hall behind closed doors. They finally let Josie and I back in and as we are walking, the nurse says (who by the way is a very large man), "Boy, she does not like to be held down. The sedation really did not work on her."

I find out later that it took 5 people to hold down my sweet 1 year old angel (which I can totally understand), but she got 4 little stitches. It took her a while to come out of the groggy stage too. She acted very out of it for a good half hour and could not even hold up her little head. However, she was soon reading a book with Dad and she said 'baaa' on the sheep page and grunted on the pig page so we knew she was better and ready to go home. They had told us they would let us go when she looked at us and said Mommy or Daddy, but we accepted animal noises all the same. :)

We got home and ate some Whataburger since it was noon when we left the ER and Evelyn did great. The only thing was she wanted to walk around after lunch, but the poor girl just could not take more than 2 steps without falling over. I think the medicine still had an effect on her.

After her nap though, she was again running around and acting as if nothing happened. Kevin and I are healing as well.

Of course, to further prove the point that 2 year-olds are completely self-driven, or maybe it is that Josie does not know what blood is or has the ability to grasp the concept of someone being hurt beside herself, but after spending the day with Evelyn, hearing the screams, seeing the blood, watching Mommy and Daddy fret over it...Josie says to Kevin as they are reading stories, "Why does Evelyn have that band-aid on her head?" Now there is true concern. :)

Here are some pics of my little bruiser. I think Lucas said it best yesterday at the office - Evelyn is like a linebacker...she leads with her head.


All smiles after bath


A closeup because I think that is what you are supposed to do, right?

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor little thing! Her big smile leads me to believe that she got over it quickly, though (much quicker than you, I'm sure)! She and Owen can be scar buddies (that's pretty much where his is, too, only a little smaller).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had our first ER visit when I was 39 weeks pregnant with #3...a gash under the chin that they simply glued together. I, unlike you, was NOT calm (though the husband was). Since then, my other 3 have each been to the ER. Thankfully, the worst thing about it all has been the bill. I'm glad she's okay and kudos to you for being so calm...I think it's transferred well to Josie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your blog post was definitely more detailed than when you told me on the phone! I didn't know you could hear her crying the whole time! That must have been so hard! Glad she is doing well and back to her old self. Hope the cleaning of the wound is going all right. By the way....I never noticed how beautiful her green eyes are!

    ReplyDelete